Austin Tri-Cyclist Blog

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

New Orleans 70.3 Race Report

New Orleans 70.3 Race Results

Being the first race of the 2009 race season, I was ready to test myself and see how my training has been coming along. I awoke to a warm and muggy day, common in New Orleans. Race morning went smoothly and before I knew it I was in the water and ready to go.
The swim group quickly split into two groups, one near the bouys and one near the shore, and I found myself in the middle. Towards the end, there was a small pack that I was in and we all finished at aprox. the same time. A quick transition and it was out on the bike.
I was riding a Zipp disc with a 404 front thanks to the guys at ATC. The bike course was flat and fast with a strong head wind on the way back. Since my wave was the 6th or seventh wave I was constantly passing people, which was some good motivation. I made good time and came into T2 ahead of my expected time.
The run started well, but with a headwind the last 6 miles and aid stations few a far between, I ran out of steam and was unable to pick it up the last few miles of the run. I ended up having to walk through the last 3 aid stations. I came in at 4 hrs and 26 min. I was hoping for a sub 4:20, but with the high humidty and heat, I am happy with the results. I just want to say thanks again to ATC for all the support that gave me in preparation for the event.
Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment